Tobacco dating codes
A portion of the City of Alexandria—most of the area now known as "Old Town" as well as the areas of the city northeast of what is now King Street—and all of today's Arlington County share the distinction of having been originally in Virginia, ceded to the U. Government to form the District of Columbia, and later retroceded to Virginia by the federal government in 1846, when the District was reduced in size to exclude the portion south of the Potomac River.
Over time, a movement grew to separate Alexandria from the District of Columbia (the District of Columbia retrocession).
Located along the western bank of the Potomac River, Alexandria is approximately 7 miles (11 km) south of downtown Washington, D. Like the rest of Northern Virginia, as well as Central Maryland, modern Alexandria has been influenced by its proximity to the U. It is the 7th largest and highest-income independent city in Virginia.
It is largely populated by professionals working in the federal civil service, in the U. military, or for one of the many private companies which contract to provide services to the federal government. Like Old Town, many Alexandria neighborhoods are compact and walkable.
They intended to conduct trade into the interior of America, and they required a trading center near the head of navigation on the Potomac.
The best location was Hunting Creek tobacco warehouse, since the deep water could easily accommodate sailing ships.
The historic center of Alexandria is known as "Old Town".
The petition was introduced by Lawrence Washington (1718–1752), the representative for Fairfax County and, more importantly, the son-in-law of William Fairfax and a founding member of the Ohio Company.
To support the company's push for a town on the river, Lawrence's younger brother George Washington, an aspiring surveyor, made a sketch of the shoreline touting the advantages of the tobacco warehouse site.
In 2005, the United States Patent and Trademark Office moved to Alexandria, and in 2017, so did the headquarters of the National Science Foundation.
A large portion of adjacent Fairfax County mostly south, but also west of the city is named "Alexandria," but it is under the jurisdiction of Fairfax County and separate from the city; the city is sometimes referred to as the City of Alexandria to avoid confusion (see the "Neighborhoods" paragraph below).
However, the ground proved to be unsuitable, and the warehouse was built half a mile up-river, where the water was deep near the shore.